Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Review: 6 Scents from Smelly Yeti

I ordered from Smelly Yeti ages ago but unfortunately only got around to reviewing them now. Check out how my order arrived!








The TAT I got was pretty good!

  • Order date: Oct 16
  • Shipping date: Oct 20

Only 4 days to ship out my stuff! I didn't have an issue I needed to contact her about in my order, so that's all I can comment on the CS.

Anyway, on to scent reviews, which are done blind as usual. Overviews are written if any of the notes surprise me.



________________________________________


Beauty Queen


"A sorbet sundae that's fruity sour, and above all, cool, this perfume features pomegranate, lemon, lime, blackcurrant, raspberry, and rich vanilla with a hint of ice cream sweetness."

This smells like a pink fruit punch. Definitely sweet and fruity. At first it just smells like someone dumped fruit punch on me, but after about 10 min, it becomes more wearable as a perfume since the sweetness calmed down and there's also this cool, dry and rich sort of peachy-citrus scent. It kind of reminds me of Sixteen92's Lolita, but it doesn't have that light, bursting with juices feel that Lolita has. It's more weighed down and threatens to go room-spray every now and then.

TL;DR: Pink fruit punch.



________________________________________


Captain Peroxide 


"Dirty leather coat, smoky tobacco, bleached hair, with a soft spot for a certain slayer. He may act tough, but at the heart of it all he's a marshmallow. Red Egyptian musk gives it a smooth finish and a distinctive bloody coloring. This is the scent that has it all. Sweet but dingy. Smoky and sexy. This perfume is practically bottled pheromones."

I smell smoke and what smells like kacang hijau, an Indonesian mung bean dessert soup. It's the creamy sort of green bean soup rather than the healthier ones that doesn't have any cream or santan (coconut cream).

I've been eating this every morning. I should probably monitor my blood sugar levels...
Image courtesy of minummedia.com


The smoke is really prominent on me and smells like I'm burning, but then again, my skin loves amping up smoke.

TL;DR: Burning, creamy Indonesian green bean dessert soup.

Overview: I'm not sure what's causing the mung bean dessert scent, maybe it's a combination of all those notes? I do know that vetiver sometimes turn into mung beans on me, so maybe there's a quiet vetiver note somewhere? I think I can sniff out the leather on a second sniff after reading the notes, but I'm not sure if that's just the power of suggestion or I got better at separating it from the smoke note.



________________________________________


Hey, McFly! 

"Inspired by old 50s ice cream parlors, this scent mixes fizzy cola and root beer with sweetshop vanilla to create a surprisingly unisex/masculine end result."

This smells like a cool root beer candy. It lacks the fizziness of root beer and goes really sweet, and that's why it's more root beer candy, or root beer that has gone flat for days, rather than actual root beer to me. There's hints of that Baygon (a popular Indonesian insecticide) note  that perfumers often label as "concrete", "stone", "asphalt", etc.  This note also appears in Alkemia's Prairie 66Blooddrop's Moonstone, and Black Violet's Apparition & Komorebi.

Unfortunately, the Baygon note gets stronger with time until it takes over the root beer candy scent by 10 min. About 15 min in, I'm getting that cottony baby oil scent. By 25 min, it's mostly just that cottony baby oil scent, with hints of Baygon. No more root beer :(

TL;DR: Root beer candy –> Baygon –> baby oil & baygon




________________________________________


Not The Bees

"It might actually be more accurate to call this "Yes The Bees" because this perfume is a lovely sweet confection of candied honey and honeysuckle, punctuated by citrus and underscored with smooth vanilla."

At first, it's that searing version of fried bread note with honey. I thought this would be another scent that would give me a headache. There's even a hint of that sourness that some vanilla/caramel notes turn into on me. After about 5 min, the searing sweetness started calming down on me, hinting at a much better scent. By about 30 min, the searing bit finally disappeared and it becomes this waxy honey sort of scent. It's a pretty common waxy honey note, similar to Alchemic Muse's Zombee. There's hints of something floral, but it's mostly waxy honey. While I do like the waxy honey scent, I don't know if I want to wait 30 min to get it.

TL;DR: Searing fried bread note with honey, turning into waxy honey.


________________________________________



Ouran

"Roses. Bulgarian roses. English roses. Rosehip jasmine, pikake flower, and yuzu. Basically, FLOWERS. Plus, a hint of the tropical flavor that signifies the mark of a true silly anime - the token beach episode."

This is a gorgeous, cool, blue honeyed scent, with a hint of tartness. The honeyed tartness starts going crazy on my skin and getting searingly sweet like a car perfume, unfortunately. I'm really sad about this since the cool, blue scent at the base stayed so amazing. It's the same cool, clean scent in Sixteen92's Raven. The kind that makes you think of clean, bright colonial style homes that look like this:

This is actually a home in Singapore...found it totally coincidentally XD
http://kidsroomideapicture.blogspot.com


I really, really love the base, but the searing bit is giving me a bit of a headache. I wish the searing, piercing bit that's going crazy on me will just disappear, but then it'll just end up smelling like a dupe of Sixteen92's Raven. I think I'm going to age this for about a year before swapping it.

TL;DR: Sixteen92's Raven with a searing sweet tartness.



________________________________________


Pipsqueak 


"A funky and fruity and extremely tweeny blend of mulberry, strawberry, and sparkling lime."

Bubblegum! The sugary pink ones! Unfortunately, after about 5 min, there's a slightly piercing citrus room spray sort of scent. The roomspray citrus started taking over the scent, with the pink bubblegum sitting in the background, so now it smells like a pink-citrus bathroom room spray.

TL;DR: Pink-citrus bathroom room spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment